Subject: bug#2280: 23.0.90; incorrect configuration

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:42:49 +0100

Hello!

When I try to configure GNU Emacs to use the X11R7.4 installation  
from MacPorts, installed under /opt, the configure script commands:

	checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
	checking whether gcc understands -Wno-pointer-sign... yes
	checking whether ln -s works... yes
	checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E -no-cpp-precomp -I/ 
sw/include -L/sw/lib
	checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
	checking for ranlib... ranlib

i.e., it uses a completely not competent installation (that of Fink).  
The product that gets built with this settings is unusable:

	Connection lost to X server `:0.0'

To become able to compile an usable GNU Emacs I have rename /sw to  
something different, which brings some other problems, because a few  
of the GNU utilities (ls, du) are used by GNU Emacs – and also pkg- 
config (OK, I found that this Perl script works incorrectly, so I  
need to use the MacPorts substitute).

This /sw preferential treatment also happens when I invoke as compile  
command:

	./configure --without-sound --without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf  
--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/ 
calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/ 
local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig  
CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast  
-mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder- 
blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno- 
crossjumping" CXXFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include"  
CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include -idirafter -I/usr/ 
X11R6/include" LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/ 
local/lib" PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config

(exec-path and shell's PATH both start with /opt/local/bin) or a  
variation like this:

	env CXXFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include" CPPFLAGS="-no- 
cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include -idirafter -I/usr/X11R6/include"  
LDFLAGS="-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/local/lib"  
PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config ./configure --without-sound -- 
without-pop --with-dbus --with-libotf --enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application\ Support/ 
Emacs PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig CFLAGS="-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC  
-mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize - 
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and- 
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping"

In this successful configuration the configure script simply reports:

	checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
	checking whether gcc understands -Wno-pointer-sign... yes
	checking whether ln -s works... yes
	checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E -no-cpp-precomp
	checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
	checking for ranlib... ranlib

In GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
  of 2009-02-11 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10402000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe - 
fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize - 
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and- 
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CXXFLAGS=-no- 
cpp-precomp -I/opt/local/include' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/opt/ 
local/include' 'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/ 
local/lib' 'PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Man

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.