Subject: bug#22795: closed (Re: bug#22795: 25.0.91; Can't write read only file on w32)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 21:09:01 +0000

Your bug report

#22795: 25.0.91; Can't write read only file on w32

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22795: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22795
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22795: 25.0.91; Can't write read only file on w32
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 16:08:01 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Not really, no.  I guess we still need the answers to the questions I
> asked back in March, repeated below:

No further response in 6 months, closing.

Subject: 25.0.91; Can't write read only file on w32
From: "Ota, Takaaki" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 08:44:02 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When a file is read only on w32 platform I used to be able to write a
file by toggling the buffer's read-only-mode state and answering yes
to this question "File memo is write-protected; try to save anyway?
(yes or no)" but now the writing fails by an error message "Opening
output file: Permission denied, c:/d/ota/memo" It still works on Linux
platform.  Is this a new feature/policy on w32 platform or a bug?  It
is certainly inconvenient.

-Tak

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.2 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-02-17 built on TAK-SVZ131190X
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/c/emacs/emacs-25.0.91
 --enable-locallisppath=/c/emacs/site-lisp'

Configured features:
SOUND NOTIFY ACL TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: euc-jp-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking 70 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/erc...
Checking 34 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/emulation...
Checking 168 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/calc...
Checking 122 files in c:/emacs/emacs-25.0.91/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
scroll-one-line-down: Beginning of buffer [16 times]
Auto-saving...done
scroll-one-line-down: Beginning of buffer [12 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired-x dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils dabbrev rect flyspell ispell sdicf-client stem sdicf sdic qp
browse-url character-fold misearch multi-isearch bookmark pp
network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mew-varsx ffap url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr url-vars wwtime file-templates ruler-mode time-stamp
eudcb-ldap ldap password-cache eudc eudc-options-file cus-edit cus-start
cus-load eudc-vars edebug jka-compr compile image-file gud pcvs vc-cvs
pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs easy-mmode pcvs-util ewoc recentf
tree-widget wid-edit byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cconv mew-auth mew-config mew-imap2 mew-imap
mew-nntp2 mew-nntp mew-pop mew-smtp mew-ssl mew-ssh mew-net
mew-highlight mew-sort mew-fib mew-ext ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring
mew-refile mew-demo mew-attach mew-draft mew-message mew-thread
mew-virtual mew-summary4 mew-summary3 mew-summary2 mew-summary
mew-search mew-pick mew-passwd mew-scan mew-syntax mew-bq mew-smime
mew-pgp mew-header mew-exec mew-mark mew-mime mew-win32 mew-edit
mew-decode mew-encode mew-cache mew-minibuf mew-complete mew-addrbook
mew-local mew-vars3 mew-vars2 mew-vars mew-env mew-lang-jp mew-mule3
mew-mule mew-gemacs mew-key mew-func mew-blvs mew-const mew kkc
ja-dic-utl japan-util advice thingatpt time cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs finder-inf
w3-autoloads package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 421738 40180)
 (symbols 32 35267 0)
 (miscs 32 389 1024)
 (strings 16 84070 27755)
 (string-bytes 1 2070737)
 (vectors 8 31268)
 (vector-slots 4 1554396 32522)
 (floats 8 796 528)
 (intervals 28 7055 1406)
 (buffers 516 38))