Subject: Re: bug#22789: 25.1.50; In last master build https connections stop working

From: Alain Schneble <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 19:32:08 +0100

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Alain Schneble <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I have the impression that GnuTLS doesn't like it too much if we start
>> retrying the handshake many times before the socket is connected.  At
>> least on MS-Windows.  In nearly all of the cases of loading websites
>> with around 20 images, I observe arbitrary failures of
>> gnutls_try_handshake which usually end up with -10
>> GNUTLS_E_INVALID_SESSION.
>
> Try to add some printfs around the handshaking, and then strace Emacs
> while it's doing all this.  GNUTLS_E_INVALID_SESSION is usually the
> result of libgnutls losing control of the socket -- something else is
> writing or reading from the socket, and that makes the libgnutls state
> machine become unsynchronised.

Thank you.  I will try to do that.  I'll have to learn how to strace
first, though.  Sorry, that was the reason why I did not already strace
it (you suggested it already in a previous message, thanks!  Sorry for
not having followed your advice in the first place).

> If you see any reads/writes to the sockets outside the handshake section
> of the code, you'll have found the culprit.

Ok, thanks.  Hopefully, I'll have time to do it tomorrow...