Subject: Re: bug#22789: 25.1.50; In last master build https connections stop working

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 09:46:43 +0100

Alain Schneble <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have the impression that GnuTLS doesn't like it too much if we start
> retrying the handshake many times before the socket is connected.  At
> least on MS-Windows.  In nearly all of the cases of loading websites
> with around 20 images, I observe arbitrary failures of
> gnutls_try_handshake which usually end up with -10
> GNUTLS_E_INVALID_SESSION.

Try to add some printfs around the handshaking, and then strace Emacs
while it's doing all this.  GNUTLS_E_INVALID_SESSION is usually the
result of libgnutls losing control of the socket -- something else is
writing or reading from the socket, and that makes the libgnutls state
machine become unsynchronised.

If you see any reads/writes to the sockets outside the handshake section
of the code, you'll have found the culprit.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no