Subject: Re: bug#22789: 25.1.50; In last master build https connections stop working

From: Alain Schneble <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:36:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Alain Schneble <[email-masked]>
>> CC: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 00:13:04 +0100
>> 
>> > There is also some disturbing signs in retrying GnuTLS handshake from
>> > wait_reading_process_output -- I'm not sure the way that function
>> > works, at least on Windows, is according to you expectations.  The
>> > while loop there doesn't really spin all the time, did you know that?
>> > Can you describe what you think should happen there for a connection
>> > whose GnuTLS handshake is not yet complete?
>> 
>> Hmm.  What I observed is that it stops if the Emacs window looses its
>> focus (and no other window messages are dispatched to the window).  If
>> it has focus, it gets called at least once per second.
>
> Disable cursor blinking and try again.

Yes, you are right.  The frequency it enters the loop drops radically
once the cursor doesn't blink.

There is one strange thing I'm observing though.  If I constantly hover
over the Window with the mouse, also then, not all images get downloaded
most of the time.  The reason then is, as mentioned in a previous post,
some of the gnutls_try_handshake calls return -10
GNUTLS_E_INVALID_SESSION.  So there must still be another issue, because
with the mouse hovering, it seems to me that it enters the loop enough
frequently to do TRT.

(strangely enough, if I postpone gnutls_try_handshake to after the
socket is connected, it seems to work reliably in conjunction with the
mouse hovering...)