Subject: Re: bug#22776: interactive org-set-effort (C-c C-x e) and column view direct index selection do not handle Effort_ALL with more than 10 entries

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 09:39:40 +0100

Hello,

David Caldwell <[email-masked]> writes:

> This bug is a replacement of bug #22735(24.3; org-set-effort *without*
> numeric prefix - still forces me to use nth allowed).  After more
> experimentation, I got a better understanding of the functionality and
> now consider that bug 22735 to be invalid as written.  I now think
> it's a more fundamental issue of not handling an Effort_ALL with more
> than 10 entries.  The problems manifest in both interactive
> org-set-effort and in column view when editing values via direct index
> selection.
> Problems:  1) interactive org-set-effort     1) can not enter an index
>> 10     2) method of entering a raw value is arcane and unvalidated 
>       - by prefixing the entered value by '-', you can enter one of
> the Effort_ALL string directly          - e.g. Effort_ALL 0 1h 2h 4h
> 1d 2d 3d 4d 1w 2w 3w 4w          - 'C-c C-x e -4w RET' sets Effort to
> '4w'          - however, a value of '-foobar' sets Effort to 'foobar' 
>    3) Note: org-set-effort with numerical prefix works properly for
> indices > 10  2) column view - editing values     1) 1-9,0 - can not
> enter an index > 10        - lower priority than 1.1 above since
> column view edit 'e' allows direct entry of Effort_ALL strings (with
> validation)     2) Note: S-left/right, n, p work properly for indices
>> 10Proposed solution:  - interactive org-set-effort and column view
> direct index selection    - input multiple characters followed by RET 
>   - if input is a valid index, use the corresponding value from
> Effort_ALL    - else if input is a valid Effort_ALL value, use it    -
> else beep and display [No Match] (like column view edit when an
> invalid value is entered)

I've changed `org-set-effort' to use `completing-read' for allowed
values instead of relying on position in list. The prefix argument now
means "increment". 

This is simpler and less exotic.

WDYT?

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738