Subject: 25.0.91; Emacs installed on prefix /usr/local/emacs fails to locate some of its directories

From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:41:31 -0300

I have compiled Emacs 25.0.91.2 with the following commands:
      jorge@jorge-HP-G42:~/tmp/emacs-25.0.91$ ./configure
      jorge@jorge-HP-G42:~/tmp/emacs-25.0.91$ make -k -j4
      jorge@jorge-HP-G42:~/tmp/emacs-25.0.91$ sudo make
      prefix=/usr/local/emacs/ install
Then in Dired I created relative symlinks to /usr/local/bin/ from each
file in /usr/local/emacs/bin.  Then when trying to start the newly
installed Emacs, it was missing basic functionality and showed error
messages.
      $ emacs Warning: arch-dependent data dir
      '/usr/local/libexec/emacs/25.0.91/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/': No
      such file or directory Warning: Lisp directory
      '/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp': No such file or directory
      Warning: Could not find simple.el or simple.elc
I have successfully worked around the problem by creating the following
symlinks:
    /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91 -> ../../emacs/share/emacs/25.0.91
    /usr/local/libexec -> emacs/libexec

I have attach the terminal output (compressed with xz) when Emacs was
built.  I have compressed the directory where I compiled Emacs, and I
can provide it if you want it.

Regards

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.6)
 of 2016-02-20 built on jorge-HP-G42
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.10

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  window-numbering-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with pt_BR dictionary...
Mark set
Saving file /home/jorge/org/saúde/registro-dia.org...
Delete excess backup versions of /home/jorge/org/saúde/registro-
dia.org? (y or n) y
Wrote /home/jorge/org/saúde/registro-dia.org
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Making completion list...
Quit
GNU Emacs 25.0.91.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.6) of
2016-02-20
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-fortran hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-mhe hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-docview hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-eshell hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-tangle hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-plot hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-calc hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-crypt hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-js hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-irc hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-publish hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-latex hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-scala hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-icalendar hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-gnuplot hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-beamer hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-C hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-bibtex hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-entities hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-core hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-colview hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ocaml hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-id hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-id
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-install hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-install
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-loaddefs hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-pcomplete hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-odt hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-sass hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-org hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-table hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-eval hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-compat hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-octave hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-ascii hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-org hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ledger hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-capture hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-io hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-R hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-texinfo hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-gnus hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-emacs-lisp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-sql hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-bbdb hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-exp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-clojure hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-plantuml hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-table hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-table
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-man hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-feed hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-awk hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-keys hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ruby hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-info hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-info
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-dot hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ditaa hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ref hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-habit hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-maxima hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-inlinetask hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-macs hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-timer hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-clock hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-md hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-lisp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-lob hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-html hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-rmail hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-sqlite hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-archive hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-agenda hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-version hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-version
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-css hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-screen hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-footnote hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-faces hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-asymptote hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-python hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-scheme hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-comint hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-ctags hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-makefile hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-list hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-list
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-java hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-src hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-src
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-w3m hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-indent hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-mscgen hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-element hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-element
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-picolisp hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-attach hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-haskell hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-macro hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-latex hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-shen hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-mobile hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-perl hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-mouse hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-matlab hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-datetree hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-protocol hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/jorge/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-lilypond hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.91/lisp/org/ob-lilypond

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail sh-script smie executable
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-
util
rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win message rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils wid-edit shell tabify bookmark pp org-archive eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe character-fold misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux apropos goto-addr thingatpt view solar cal-dst cal-julian
cal-move parse-time cal-iso org-clock org-table appt flyspell org-drill
savehist org-learn org-id hi-lock cl org-w3m org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired-x
dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-element avl-tree rainbow-
delimiters
disp-table whitespace ispell diary-lib diary-loaddefs filenotify
notifications dbus org-mobile org-agenda org advice org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func window-numbering google-contacts-message
google-contacts xml url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap url-util url-
parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars google-oauth finder-inf
info package epg-config time paren holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu
easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-
setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 657366 167040)
 (symbols 48 47591 0)
 (miscs 40 8344 14791)
 (strings 32 128325 13283)
 (string-bytes 1 3829867)
 (vectors 16 72625)
 (vector-slots 8 1968304 65995)
 (floats 8 942 510)
 (intervals 56 34750 4443)
 (buffers 976 37)
 (heap 1024 81309 46692))