Subject: bug#22762: 25.1.50; Enhancement/Feature Request: window-local `overlay_arrow_variable_list`

From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 17:49:48 -0800

As an enhancement/feature request, perhaps the Emacs team would consider adding support for window-local `overlay_arrow_variable_list` similar to placing a 'window property on a regular overlay.

It is visually confusing to see the same buffer displayed in more than one window because the NON-selected window displays a moving fringe cursor indicator, which does not coincide with where the cursor is in that particular window.  When switching to the other window, the fringe indicator jumps to the correct location where the cursor is.

Thanks,

Keith

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.15 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS appkit-1038.36 Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))
 of 2016-02-21 built on server.private
Repository revision: 5a0472e8ea9128f75bca04f5f65682ae8280c208
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking=glyphs
 CPPFLAGS=-I/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/lib'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG DBUS NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Z-name-down

Minor modes in effect:
  tabbar-mode: t
  ml-mode: t
  hl-mode: t
  sd-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t

Recent messages:

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message mml mml-sec epa epg mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader sendmail add-log pp .multiple_cursors
gud lawlist-ztree lawlist-ys lawlist-ws lawlist-wl elmo-imap4
elmo-localdir modb-standard modb-legacy elmo-internal elmo-flag
mmelmo-imap mmelmo-buffer elsp-generic mel-u epg-config lawlist-w3m
doc-view jka-compr image-mode ccl lawlist-vl lawlist-view lawlist-undo
lawlist-txt lawlist-tm lawlist-tex compare-w diff-mode lawlist-tabbar
lawlist-speedbar lawlist-shell info esh-groups ehelp ange-ftp
lawlist-sgml lawlist-sb lawlist-ruler lawlist-replace
lawlist-rectangle lawlist-re-builder lawlist-python skeleton
lawlist-profiler lawlist-print lawlist-php lawlist-perl lawlist-parens
lawlist-org lawlist-calendar org-agenda org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src
ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
lawlist-neotree lawlist-movement lawlist-mouse lawlist-ml lawlist-misc
lawlist-messages lawlist-mc lawlist-markdown noutline outline
lawlist-lorem lawlist-linum lawlist-keymap lawlist-js json map
thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs lawlist-ispell lawlist-isearch
lawlist-info lawlist-imenu lawlist-ibuffer lawlist-hl lawlist-grep
lawlist-git pcvs-util ido seq server conf-mode lawlist-framebufs
lawlist-frame lawlist-fm lawlist-env lawlist-elscreen lawlist-elisp
lawlist-dv lawlist-image lawlist-files zeroconf dbus xml lawlist-ds
lawlist-dired dired dired-loaddefs format-spec lawlist-diff
lawlist-desktop frameset lawlist-saveplace lawlist-debug
lawlist-window debug lawlist-css smie lawlist-compile rx lawlist-color
lawlist-cm lawlist-cc-mode lawlist-cc-awk lawlist-font-lock cl-macs
lawlist-cc-fonts lawlist-cc-guess lawlist-cc-menus lawlist-cc-align
lawlist-cc-cmds lawlist-cc-styles lawlist-cc-engine lawlist-cc-langs
lawlist-cc-vars lawlist-cc-defs lawlist-cc-bytecomp lawlist-calc
lawlist-calc+ lawlist-bk lawlist-bc lawlist-bbdb gnus nnheader subr-x
wid-edit mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev mail-extr rfc822 timezone
lawlist-minibuffer gv lawlist-auth gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache lawlist-as lawlist-archive lawlist-apropos lawlist-+
lawlist-lcl byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv lawlist-help
disp-table easy-mmode edmacro kmacro quail help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcase derived advice shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring savehist time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
nil