Subject: bug#22750: Output port encoding isn't correctly set

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 13:53:46 -0500

tags 22750 + notabug
close 22750
thanks

Roland Lutz <[email-masked]> writes:
> I've encountered a behavior in Guile 2.0.11 which I believe is a
> bug. When running Guile in a UTF-8 locale, I'd expect that the output
> port encoding is set to UTF-8 unless specified otherwise.  However, it
> appears to be not set at all.

In Guile 2.0.x, as in C, the locale is not set until you set it using
'setlocale'.  To set the locale according to the standard environment
variables, put this at the beginning of your script:

  (setlocale LC_ALL "")

Note that in Guile 2.2.x, the locale will automatically be set when
running a script using the standard 'guile' executable, although
programs linked with libguile will still need to set the locale
explicitly.

     Regards,
       Mark