Subject: bug#22734: 24.5; do not leave opened org-agenda-files on org-agenda-list, etc.

From: Oleksandr Gavenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:23:05 +0200

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.2)
 of 2015-10-24 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Recently I changed workflow with org-mode and trapped into issue which already
described:

  http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/5741/do-not-keep-org-agenda-files-open-after-generating-agenda/

Previously I use:

 * NOTE.org as main storage for free form notes edited by hand with key
   binding to quick access to this file

 * TODO.org for `org-remember' or
     (lambda () (interactive) (org-capture nil "t"))

TODO.org I visit only via `C-c a a'. But NOTE.org become unmaintainable with
size greater then 1 MiB of plain text.

So I split this file into several files by easy distinguished topics, like
LEARNING.org, purchases.org, emacs-python.org, linux.org, vps.org, ...

Instead of maintaining list of possible names I have specified directory:

(setq org-agenda-file-regexp "\\`[^.#].*[^_]\\.org\\'"
      org-agenda-files (list org-directory))

I happy with this setup because I can quickly find necessary topic via
switching to buffer (by IDO via meaningful file name) and search (by C-s)
performed in limited space.

All schedules available via `C-c a a' across all .org files.

But now I have a lot of opened unused .org files after `C-c a a' which I
should kill when they appear during buffer switches.

The right behavior is to preserve opened only files that already was opened
and kill other files.

Note that navigation from agenda buffer SHOULD work. If I press RET on item
it should open corresponding file if it is not already opened.

-- 
http://defun.work/