Subject: bug#22725: 24.5; emacsclient gui app

From: Pavlos Vinieratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:57:47 +0100

Emacs comes with a GUI app that launches emacs. It would be very
helpful if there would be a GUI app that launches emacsclient. Im on
OSX, and sometimes its useful to drag a few files from my desktop to the
emacs icon on my dock. but that launches the full emacs, so its slow. it
would be nice if that app checked for a running daemon to connect to
before launching the full emacs, or if there would be a second app that
would use emacsclient.

So we shoudl either add a new app for emacsclient, or better, make that
existing app use emacsclient, and if there is no daemon, then use
full emacs.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1404.34)
 of 2016-02-05 on pavlos-mbp.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/info/emacs --with-xml2
 --without-dbus --without-gnutls --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/init2.el (source)...
ad-handle-definition: `evil-mode' got redefined
Loading /Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/init2.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. [2 times]
<nil> <down-mouse-1> is undefined
<nil> <drag-mouse-1> is undefined
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160211.934/helm-multi-match hides /Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160215.127/helm-multi-match
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-texinfo hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-publish hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-publish
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-org hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-org
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-odt hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-odt
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-md hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-md
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-man hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-man
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-latex hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-latex
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-icalendar hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-html hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-html
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-beamer hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ox-ascii hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-w3m hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-version hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-version
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-timer hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-table hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-src hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-rmail hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-protocol hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-plot hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-pcomplete hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-mouse hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-mobile hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-mhe hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-macs hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-macro hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-macro
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-loaddefs hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-list hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-irc hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-install hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-inlinetask hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-info hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-indent hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-id hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-habit hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-gnus hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-footnote hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-feed hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-faces hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-eshell hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-eshell
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-entities hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-entities
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-element hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-element
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-docview hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-docview
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-datetree hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-ctags hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-ctags
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-crypt hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-compat hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-colview hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-clock hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-capture hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-capture
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-bibtex hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-bbdb hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-attach hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-archive hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/org-agenda hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-tangle hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-table hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-table
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-sqlite hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-sql hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-sql
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-shen hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-shen
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-screen hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-screen
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-scheme hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-scala hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-scala
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-sass hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-sass
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ruby hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ref hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ref
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-R hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-R
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-python hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-python
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-plantuml hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-picolisp hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-perl hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-perl
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-org hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-org
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-octave hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-octave
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ocaml hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-mscgen hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-maxima hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-matlab hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-makefile hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-lob hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-lob
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-lisp hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-lilypond hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ledger hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-latex hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-latex
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-keys hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-keys
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-js hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-js
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-java hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-java
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-io hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-io
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-haskell hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-fortran hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-exp hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-exp
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-eval hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-eval
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-dot hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-dot
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-ditaa hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-css hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-css
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-core hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-core
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-comint hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-comint
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-clojure hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-calc hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-calc
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-C hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-C
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-awk hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-awk
/Users/pvinis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160215/ob-asymptote hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode evil evil-integration undo-tree diff
evil-maps evil-commands evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types
evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
evil-common windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib base16-eighties-dark-theme advice help-fns
info easymenu package epg-config server time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 187271 5902)
 (symbols 48 25616 0)
 (miscs 40 83 120)
 (strings 32 40092 6656)
 (string-bytes 1 1300426)
 (vectors 16 18739)
 (vector-slots 8 474669 5544)
 (floats 8 66 103)
 (intervals 56 229 0)
 (buffers 960 13))