Subject: bug#22717: 25.0.91; sh-mode indentation bug with opening parens at the beginnings of lines, and apostrophes

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 02:18:26 +1300

I've come up with the following test case:

#!/bin/sh
echo "
(" # Opening parenthesis at the beginning of a line

if true; then
     # Here's an apostrophe
fi # ...and now this will be indented -- aligned with the apostrophe

If you auto-indent that, the final line gets indented to align
with the column containing the apostrophe in the preceding comment.

I've been working through a very large shell script trying to
eliminate indentation issues, and I discovered that quotes in
comments could cause problems with the indentation of later
lines of code.

Balanced apostrophes 'like so' seem to be ok in general, but
sometimes unbalanced quotes would cause subsequent issues.

I noticed the opening parenthesis bit while trying to narrow
this down to a small test case, and have subsequently confirmed
that inserting a space before all such line-starting opening
parens eliminates all of my problems with commented quotes.

My initial workaround had been to convert unbalanced commented
apostrophes into a unicode RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, and
that resolved most of the problems I was seeing.

I found one instance in my large script where double quotes were
an issue, such that changing "emacsclient -a ''" in a comment
(including both types of quote) into just emacsclient -a '' (i.e.
removing the double quotes) resolved the issue.

I also saw occasional (but not consistent) issues with `symbol'
style quotes, and I ended up replacing the backticks with normal
apostrophes for all of those instances.

(But again, the opening paren seems to be the trigger.)

This was mostly with 24.5, but I've just checked my test case
with the current emacs-25 branch from git, and replicated the
problem.

I found one other consistent indentation issue, which I'll post
as a separate bug, as it seems like a different issue.

-Phil

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d 
scroll bars)
  of 2016-02-18 built on shodan
Repository revision: 14aec913ac3f0dd408487c0e8327403e0f239964
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.04

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/trunk/usr/local
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
   sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
   winner-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll 
bars) of 2016-02-18
Mark set [5 times]
Setting up indent for shell type sh
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Mark activated
Indenting region...done
Undo!
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired-x dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils sh-script smie executable paren mb-depth
winner ring hl-line time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 93900 8317)
  (symbols 48 20374 0)
  (miscs 40 79 221)
  (strings 32 17885 4311)
  (string-bytes 1 490436)
  (vectors 16 12632)
  (vector-slots 8 440791 5202)
  (floats 8 168 90)
  (intervals 56 264 0)
  (buffers 976 11)
  (heap 1024 24743 910))