Subject: bug#22715: closed (Re: bug#22715: 25.0.91; Point randomly jumps during key entry)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 01:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22715: 25.0.91; Point randomly jumps during key entry

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22715: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22715
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22715: 25.0.91; Point randomly jumps during key entry
From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 20:47:03 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After applying

   commit aa5a7948431437fc09931ac21eb05f365e1f8876
   commit 2d8b2fd034ccc61f949b408373342b5f9f8ba592

to the emacs-25.0.91 pretest, the `point-jumping' no longer occurs.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

Subject: 25.0.91; Point randomly jumps during key entry
From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:39:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

First, please accept my apologies for the poor bug report.  I'm calling
it a poor bug report because I've been unable to find a simple recipe
that easily reproduces the behavior I'm seeing.

The behavior itself is easy to describe: while providing keyboard input,
sometimes point jumps to a (seemingly) random place in the buffer.

Some examples

  - while holding the UP arrow to slowly scroll upwards in the current
    buffer, point suddenly `jumps' up, over several screenfuls of text

  - while typing (ordinary alphanumeric text), point jumps to a line
    near the top of the file.  I've noticed this most often when using
    emacs to write java code.  I'll be typing away in the body of a
    method, and point will jump to a position in the file header
    comment, several hundred lines earlier.

This doesn't happen very often.  Perhaps 3--4 times during a work day.
I have not found a way to make it happen on demand.

I've experienced this behavior in 25.0.90 and 25.0.91, but not in
earlier versions.

I typically see this behavior in java-mode and org-mode.  That said, the
vast majority of my emacs usage involves java-mode and org-mode.

I've seen this behavior on two different x86_64 GNU/Linux systems.
One system runs Redhat 6.4, and the other runs OpenSUSE 13.2.  Both
systems have `standard' USB keyboards, and optical mice.

If I'm able to find a nice set of steps to reproduce, I'll add them to
this bug report.

If there are suggestions for gathering/providing more information,
please let me know, and I'll gladly try them.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.15)
  of 2016-02-16 built on sunny
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
System Description:	openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-25.0.91'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87179 5415)
  (symbols 48 19682 0)
  (miscs 40 38 110)
  (strings 32 14733 4487)
  (string-bytes 1 422301)
  (vectors 16 12267)
  (vector-slots 8 425290 4370)
  (floats 8 166 37)
  (intervals 56 198 0)
  (buffers 976 11)
  (heap 1024 44093 1008))