Subject: 25.0.91; Minibuffer quirk in C-x r SPC

From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:11:59 -0500

Steps to reproduce:

  1. emacs -Q.  This starts emacs, and shows the default *scratch* buffer
  2. put point on line 2, column 0
  3. Press "C-x r SPC"
  4. The minibuffer prompts "Point to Register: "
  5. Press "1"

Expected Behavior:

After pressing "1", I'd expect the minibuffer's "Point to Register: "
prompt to disappear.

Actual Behavior:

The minibuffer continues to display "Point to Register: 1", as if it's
waiting for me to provide additional input.  At this point, I'd
typically press the UP or DOWN arrows no my keyboard, to dismiss the
minibuffer prompt.

Pressing RET while "Point to Register: 1" appears in the minibuffer
causes a RET to be inserted into the buffer that was active when "C-x r
SPC" was pressed.

Regression Notes:

I first observed this behavior in emacs 25.0.90.  I did not observe it
in earlier versions (e.g., 24.x).

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.15)
  of 2016-02-16 built on sunny
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
System Description:	openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-25.0.91'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87263 9234)
  (symbols 48 19682 0)
  (miscs 40 40 135)
  (strings 32 14739 4264)
  (string-bytes 1 422275)
  (vectors 16 12268)
  (vector-slots 8 425296 4875)
  (floats 8 167 180)
  (intervals 56 200 0)
  (buffers 976 11)
  (heap 1024 47551 1058))