Subject: bug#22710: Acknowledgement (libparted 3.2 fat32 bootsector incompatible w. windows)

From: "D. Eberhardt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:48:41 +0100

My report may be treated, perhaps, as duplicate yet to emphasize the 
importance of

"bug#22266: [libparted] jump instruction and boot code is corrupted with 
random bytes after fat is resized"
"http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2015-12/msg00026.html"

For people who, like me, mainly uses windows and performs maintenance 
tasks using compilations like system-rescue-cd and knoppix, it's a very 
ugly surprise, when trusted tools like gparted render a filesystem 
unusable for windows.
Fat32 is my first choice, because it's accessible by open bsd, that I 
use as file server, by windows and by the linux tools mentioned - as 
long as my files don't go beyond 2GB in size (which happens rather rarely).

Please, do also refer to the already cited gparted forum, where people 
reported that libparted 3.1 apparently didn't break the bootsector's 
usability with windows.
"http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=17318"

Many thanks,
Dirk

Am 16.02.2016 um 22:35 schrieb GNU bug Tracking System:
> Thank you for filing a new bug report with debbugs.gnu.org.
>
> This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message
> has been received.
>
> Your message is being forwarded to the package maintainers and other
> interested parties for their attention; they will reply in due course.
>
> Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s):
>   [email-masked]
>
> If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please
> send it to [email-masked].
>
> Please do not send mail to [email-masked] unless you wish
> to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system.
>