Subject: Re: bug#2270: [PATCH] bug#2270, RE: 23.0.90; find-library:... (2) other-window version

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:43:15 +0300

On 04/27/2016 08:38 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> `find-library' isn't bound to any key, but I think it probably should
> be.  `C-x 4 l' seems like as good a keystroke as any.  Any thought from
> other people?  I use the command quite a lot...

I think the "other window" version should simply be a separate command, 
like find-function-other-window, xref-find-definitions-other-window, etc.

Having a default binding for it would be a bit odd, considering 
find-library doesn't have one.

>> 2. I think that the other-window version is far more useful than
>>    the same-window version.  So if other-window behavior is available
>>    only via a prefix arg I'd prefer that it be the other way around:
>>    a prefix arg uses the same window; no prefix arg uses another
>>    window.  (Yes, that would be a change in the default behavior.)

-1 from me.

> The command now uses pop-to-buffer-same-window, which is quite
> customisable, as I understand things.  (I haven't looked into the
> new-fangled window popping controlling functions.)  So I think this
> should be customisable ... somehow ... by the users now.

It's... not as easy as one might hope. And if you customize 
`find-library' to use the other window this way, there will be no way to 
have it use the current window just this one time. And vice versa.