Subject: 23.0.90; find-library: (1) doc string, (2) other-window version

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:23:49 -0800

emacs -Q
 
1. The doc string of find-library says only this:
"Find the elisp source of LIBRARY."
 
Hardly very helpful. What is LIBRARY? A file name as a string?
Absolute or relative? A symbol naming a feature? A symbol naming a
relative file name? All of the above?
 
Also, "elisp" should be "Emacs-Lisp".

2. Please add this command (or equivalent), after adjusting its doc
string also to explain what LIBRARY is:
 
(defun find-library-other-window (library)
  "Find the Emacs-Lisp source of LIBRARY in another window."
  (interactive
   (let* ((path (cons (or find-function-source-path load-path)
        (find-library-suffixes)))
   (def (if (eq (function-called-at-point) 'require)
     (save-excursion (backward-up-list)
                                   (forward-char)
                                   (backward-sexp -2)
                                   (thing-at-point 'symbol))
   (thing-at-point 'symbol))))
     (when def (setq def (and (locate-file-completion def path 'test) def)))
     (list (completing-read "Library name: " 'locate-file-completion
                            path nil nil nil def))))
  (let ((buf (find-file-noselect (find-library-name library))))
    (pop-to-buffer buf 'other-window)))

In GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-02-01 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'