Subject: [PATCH] bug#2270, RE: 23.0.90; find-library:... (2) other-window version

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:41:59 -0700

> Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:27 PM
>
> > 2. Please add this command (or equivalent), after adjusting its doc
> >    string also to explain what LIBRARY is:
> 
> After the release, maybe.

Clearly, that upcoming release was many moon ago.

I repeat my suggestion to add command `find-library-other-window'.
I also suggest that it be bound by default to `C-x 4 l'.

I've used this command & key forever, and wouldn't be without it.
(And I rarely have a need anymore for same-window `find-library'.)

---

(defun find-library-other-window (library)
  "Find the Emacs-Lisp source of LIBRARY in another window."
  (interactive
   (progn
     (require 'find-func)
     (let* ((path  (cons (or find-function-source-path load-path)
                         (find-library-suffixes)))
            (def   (if (eq (function-called-at-point) 'require)
                       (save-excursion (backward-up-list)
                                       (forward-char)
                                       (backward-sexp -2)
                                       (thing-at-point 'symbol))
                     (thing-at-point 'symbol))))
       (when def (setq def  (and (locate-file-completion def path 'test)
                                 def)))
       (list (completing-read "Library name: " 'locate-file-completion
                              path nil nil nil def)))))
  (let ((buf  (find-file-noselect (find-library-name library))))
    (pop-to-buffer buf 'other-window)))