Subject: bug#22692: 25.0.91; xref-find-definitions fails to prompt

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:19:28 -0800

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> I've changed it like we discussed.

Thanks!

> However, after reading the quoted text, I'm not quite sure we need to
> remove "valid". To my eyes, "valid identifier" in that text means
> "syntactically valid", rather than "an identifier defined somewhere in
> the current project". The latter would be "an existing identifier", I
> guess?
[...]
> The two other uses of "valid identifier" we have inside Emacs (in
> cc-vars.el and idlwave.el) also mean "syntactically valid".

In cc-vars.el, "syntactically valid identifiers" appears earlier in the
paragraph, so when "valid identifiers" appears later, the interpretation
is clear.

In idlwave.el, "valid identifier" is used in a comment.  I think it's
ambiguous (on its own, without studying the surrounding code), but since
it's just a comment, I don't care so much about it.

(This is as of Emacs 25.0.91; I didn't check the latest in the emacs-25
git branch.)

> Mike, thoughts?

I have a slight preference for removing "valid" from the Info text,
since that change makes the text a little more concise.  But I'd also be
fine with changing to it to "syntactically valid identifier".

cheers,
mike