Subject: bug#22692: closed (Re: bug#22692: docstring for xref-find-definitions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 02:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22692: 25.0.91; xref-find-definitions fails to prompt 

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22692: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22692
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22692: docstring for xref-find-definitions
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 04:48:55 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 02/27/2016 02:43 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> You mean, whether to remove the "valid" part from the 2nd sentence
> reproduced below?
>
>      ‘M-.’ (‘xref-find-definitions’) shows the definitions of the
>   identifier at point.  With a prefix argument, or if there’s no valid
>   identifier at point, it prompts for the identifier.            ^^^^^
>
> I'd say let's remove it.

Indeed, that seems the easier choice. Pushed, and marking this done.

Subject: 25.0.91; xref-find-definitions fails to prompt
From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 17:02:03 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If point is on a token that isn't defined in the current tags file,
M-. gives me an error (look for "Cygwin" further down in this bug
report).  I expect to get a prompt.

Ditto if point is at the "#" of "#include" or "#ifdef".

More broadly, I think the default for xref-prompt-for-identifier is a
usability regression.  When I'm examining code, point is rarely at the
token I want to find the definition for.  So with the default behavior,
I either have to move my hand to the mouse to set point and then move it
back to the keyboard for the "." in M-., or I have to type in a bunch of
navigation keystrokes, or I have to add a C-u prefix.  Either way, the
default behavior is getting in my way, not helping.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2016-02-14 built on allegro
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/new'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Please type y or n, or C-v to scroll: y [3 times]
user-error: No definitions found for: Cygwin
Type "q" in help window to delete it
Quit

find-tag is not on any key
Mark set
GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars) of 2016-02-14
You can run the command ‘emacs-version’ with M-x em-v RET
GNU Emacs 25.0.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars) of 2016-02-14

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pulse etags xref project cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff mh-limit sgml-mode
diff-mode pp gnus-mh mh-alias crm shr-color color shr seq dom subr-x
browse-url mh-search qp mh-thread sort gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-kill
gnus-dup gnus-ml disp-table timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
url-handlers nnrss xml mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars nndraft nnmh utf-7 rfc2104 network-stream nsm starttls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache flow-fill mm-archive mail-extr character-fold misearch
multi-isearch mh-mime mh-identity mh-letter mh-show goto-addr thingatpt
gnus-cite gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-win gnus-range gnus gnus-ems
nnheader wid-edit mh-comp mh-gnus mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
vc-hg org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
pcmpl-unix mh-inc hl-line mh-tool-bar mh-seq mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder
which-func imenu mh-scan mh-e mh-compat mh-acros cl mh-buffers
mh-loaddefs shell pcomplete mdk-mail smtpmail auth-source cl-seq eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv
password-cache sendmail message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader server noutline outline
easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring xcscope easymenu advice ispell delsel
vc cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib vc-dispatcher dired timeclock mdk-hacks
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 509163 47425)
 (symbols 48 47223 0)
 (miscs 40 492 1325)
 (strings 32 119455 22990)
 (string-bytes 1 3536292)
 (vectors 16 42300)
 (vector-slots 8 881800 34425)
 (floats 8 791 405)
 (intervals 56 48671 33)
 (buffers 976 47)
 (heap 1024 56510 27603))