Subject: Re: bug#22687: Online manual not updated automatically

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:41:04 +0100

Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Florian Paul Schmidt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 16.02.2016 17:42, Andreas Enge wrote:
>>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 05:33:27PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>>> I was not courageous enough to suggest that, but this does sound
>>>> like a good idea.
>>> 
>>> It is easy enough to have that courage when one is not the person
>>> making the releases :-)
>>
>> Hmm, shouldn't that process be mostly automated? And if not, maybe
>> it's worth thinking about how to do that. I guess from a functional
>> point of view a release is just a function that takes a revision and
>> has as its outputs installer images, binary installers, a new website,
>> yada yada yada..
>
> IIUC The problem is that making a release involves a lot a build power
> that take long long time and makes it difficult to resolve unavoidable
> issues encountered during the process.
>
> I remember hearing Ludo explaining that the release process for Guix was
> more involving than for the other software projects he experienced.

Yeah it typically takes a lot of time waiting for builds and uploads to
complete.  See ‘release.org’ in guix-maintenance.git for a feel.

If people have ideas on how to improve the process, I’m all ears!  :-)

Ludo’.