Subject: bug#22687: Online manual not updated automatically

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:33:27 +0100

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:06:40AM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Many other projects publish online manuals for both stable and
>> development versions.  As our releases are a little far apart and we’re
>> encouraging to do “guix pull” (so users really run the development
>> version) I think it would indeed make sense to also publish an
>> up-to-date version of the manual along with the manual for the latest
>> release.
>
> Or alternatively, release more often :-)

I was not courageous enough to suggest that, but this does sound like a
good idea.

> I wonder whether we should not make a point release after each security
> update instead of encouraging people to use "guix pull" (but we would
> quickly arrive at 0.9.9 now, after which only 1.0.0 would be a reasonable
> option to keep numerical and lexicographical ordering consistent).
> Or a point-point release as 0.9.0.1 and so on.

I would like that.  We could make patch releases for each time we merge
core-updates / security-fixes into master.

~~ Ricardo