Subject: Re: bug#22669: loading term/xterm.elc loads cl-lib at runtime

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:12:25 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Loading term/xterm.elc loads cl-lib at runtime.
>> This means that cl-lib is loaded at startup in "emacs -Q -nw", which is
>> undesirable.
>
> Why is that undesirable?
>
> How is xterm.el different from any other package which requires
> cl-lib?

This was explained in http://debbugs.gnu.org/22613#45

Because we generally try to ensure that simply running "emacs -Q"
doesn't need any non-preloaded files to start up. lisp/term/xterm is
something of a corner case. Compare with term/x-win etc, which is
preloaded.

Also in this particular case, it can create the mistaken impression that
cl-lib is always available, which I think leads to some of the ongoing
confusion in bug#22613.