Subject: Re: bug#22655: grep -Pz '^' now fails!

From: Stephane Chazelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 16:45:29 +0000

2016-11-19 16:14:28 +0000, Stephane Chazelas:
[...]
> AFAICT, that optimisation only brings a little optimisation in
> some cases (and reduces performance in others) but also reduces
> functionality and breaks users' expectations. IMO, it's not
> worth it.
[...]

To be fair, that last part about users' expectations is highly
reduced with your recent changes. Thanks for that and for
re-enabling grep -Pz ^/$

I just think that if grep always did the simplest thing of
calling pcre_exec on every record in all the cases,
that would make for simpler, more easily maintainable and less
"experimental" code, and probably wouldn't affect performance so
badly on average.

-- 
Stephane