Subject: bug#2265: Core dump with "Fatal error (6).Abort" message

From: Marco Monteiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:04:00 +0000

Hello.

I'm on Fedora 10, 64 bit. I run Emacs from the HEAD of CVS. Emacs
started to dump core after I started using multi-mode.el
(http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/multi-mode.el) to edit using both
lisp-mode.el and tex-mode.el in the same buffer. When it crashes, it
displays the message "Fatal error (6).Abort". If I don't activate
multi-mode.el, everything works very reliably.

The crash happens randomly, while I'm editing, simply moving in the 
buffer, etc.

This happens in all the revisions I tried in the last two weeks. I did 
not try Emacs 22.

Here is the output of "uname -a"

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jan
21 01:33:24 EST 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and here is the backtrace:

Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
[New process 3246]
#0  0x0000003ba18331f7 in kill () from /lib64/libc-2.9.so
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install
libpng-1.2.33-1.fc10.x86_64 libtdb-1.1.1-25.fc10.x86_64
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000003ba18331f7 in kill () from /lib64/libc-2.9.so
#1  0x00000000004e7c63 in fatal_error_signal (sig=<value optimized out>)
     at emacs.c:403
#2  <signal handler called>
#3  0x000000000043c017 in next_element_from_string (it=0x7fff28f0c7d0)
     at xdisp.c:6282
#4  0x000000000043952d in get_next_display_element (it=0x7fff28f0c7d0)
     at xdisp.c:5674
#5  0x0000000000440e95 in init_from_display_pos (it=0x7fff28f0c7d0,
     w=<value optimized out>, pos=0x7f46192aa098) at xdisp.c:3047
#6  0x000000000044a459 in init_to_row_end () at xdisp.c:3086
#7  try_window_id (w=0x7f4619beb210) at xdisp.c:15453
#8  0x000000000044d332 in redisplay_window (window=139939056366100,
     just_this_one_p=1) at xdisp.c:13610
#9  0x000000000044f317 in redisplay_window_1 (window=140733880256464)
     at xdisp.c:12281
#10 0x000000000055b5c8 in internal_condition_case_1 (
     bfun=0x44f2f0 <redisplay_window_1>, arg=139939056366100,
     handlers=11358261, hfun=0x425a10 <redisplay_window_error>)
     at eval.c:1559
#11 0x0000000000447889 in redisplay_internal (
     preserve_echo_area=<value optimized out>) at xdisp.c:11899
#12 0x00000000004f51f7 in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=8,
     maps=0x7fff28f0f690, prev_event=11001633,
     used_mouse_menu=0x7fff28f0f7dc, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:2686
#13 0x00000000004f7975 in read_key_sequence (keybuf=0x7fff28f0f860,
     bufsize=30, prompt=11001633, dont_downcase_last=0,
     can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1) at keyboard.c:9415
#14 0x00000000004f9cf8 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1640
#15 0x000000000055b88f in internal_condition_case (
     bfun=0x4f9ae0 <command_loop_1>, handlers=11088673,
     hfun=0x4f39d0 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1511
#16 0x00000000004f2e2e in command_loop_2 () at keyboard.c:1357
#17 0x000000000055b9a7 in internal_catch (tag=<value optimized out>,
     func=0x4f2e10 <command_loop_2>, arg=11001633) at eval.c:1247
#18 0x00000000004f37f8 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1336
#19 0x00000000004f3bea in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:951
#20 0x00000000004f3d64 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:1013
#21 0x00000000004e6cf7 in main (argc=3, argv=0x7fff28f10078) at emacs.c:1852
(gdb)

If there is anything that I can do to provide more info, please do tell.

Thanks,
Marco