Subject: bug#22637: closed (Re: bug#22637: 25.1.50; `mode-line` face `:height` incompatible with `scroll-conservatively 101`.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22637: 25.1.50; `mode-line` face `:height` incompatible with `scroll-conservatively 101`.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22637: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22637
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22637: 25.1.50; `mode-line` face `:height` incompatible with `scroll-conservatively 101`.
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:33:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:09:34 +0100
> 
> Skimming this thread, Keith reported that the original problem was fixed
> by Eli's patches, but then there was an additional question by Keith
> answered by Eli, and the bug was then left open.
> 
> Is there anything more to do here, or should this report be closed?

Nothing to do, so I'm closing this.

Thanks.

Subject: 25.1.50; `mode-line` face `:height` incompatible with `scroll-conservatively 101`.
From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:12:57 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Setting the `:height` property of the `mode-line` face to 140, and `scroll-conservatively 101`, prevent redisplay from making point fully visible following a large yank of text.  [This also happens with some of my custom movement functions similar to paragraph down.]

Anything attached to the `timer-idle-list` will cause the cursor to come back into view when the clocks strikes midnight.  The following three minor modes are disabled in this example so that the `timer-idle-list` is empty.  NOTE:  Even something attached to the idle timer such as `(run-with-idle-timer 10 'repeat 'ignore)` will trigger a redisplay after 10 seconds and cause point to come back into view.

    (face-spec-set 'mode-line
      '((((class color) (min-colors 88))
         :box (:line-width -1 :style released-button)
         :background "grey75" :foreground "black" :height 140)
        (t
         :inverse-video t)))

    (setq scroll-conservatively 101)

    (global-eldoc-mode -1)

    (global-font-lock-mode -1)

    (blink-cursor-mode -1)

As a suggestion / feature, please consider adding a GLYPH_DEBUG message to indicate when a function from the `timer-idle-list` has triggered a redisplay.  It sure would have been a lot easier to come up with a minimal working example of the above-mentioned issue if I could have seen what was happening with `trace-redisplay`.

#ifdef GLYPH_DEBUG
      debug_method_add (w, "redisplay triggered by function attached to `timer-idle-list'");
#endif

Thanks,

Keith

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS appkit-1038.36 Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))
 of 2016-02-08 built on server.private
Repository revision: de76a167dc09dc695a5acebabb7ab354a6bf556e
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking=glyphs
 CPPFLAGS=-I/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/lib'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG DBUS NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: FM

Minor modes in effect:
  tabbar-mode: t
  ml-mode: t
  ds-mode: t
  sd-mode: t

Recent messages:
*beep*

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail lawlist-ztree lawlist-ys lawlist-ws
lawlist-wl elmo-imap4 elmo-localdir modb-standard modb-legacy
elmo-internal elmo-flag mmelmo-imap mmelmo-buffer elsp-generic mel-u
epg-config lawlist-w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode ccl lawlist-vl
lawlist-view lawlist-undo lawlist-txt lawlist-tm lawlist-tex compare-w
diff-mode lawlist-tabbar lawlist-speedbar lawlist-shell info
esh-groups ehelp ange-ftp lawlist-sgml lawlist-sb lawlist-ruler
lawlist-replace lawlist-rectangle lawlist-re-builder lawlist-python
skeleton lawlist-profiler lawlist-print lawlist-perl lawlist-parens
lawlist-org lawlist-calendar org-agenda org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src
ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
lawlist-neotree lawlist-movement lawlist-mouse lawlist-ml lawlist-misc
lawlist-messages lawlist-mc lawlist-markdown noutline outline
lawlist-lorem lawlist-linum lawlist-keymap lawlist-js json map
thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs lawlist-ispell lawlist-isearch
lawlist-info lawlist-imenu lawlist-ibuffer lawlist-hl lawlist-grep
lawlist-git pcvs-util ido seq server conf-mode lawlist-framebufs
lawlist-frame lawlist-fm lawlist-env lawlist-elscreen lawlist-elisp
lawlist-dv lawlist-image lawlist-files zeroconf dbus xml lawlist-ds
lawlist-dired dired dired-loaddefs format-spec lawlist-diff
lawlist-desktop frameset lawlist-saveplace lawlist-debug
lawlist-window debug lawlist-css smie lawlist-compile rx lawlist-color
lawlist-cm lawlist-cc-mode lawlist-cc-awk lawlist-font-lock cl-macs
lawlist-cc-fonts lawlist-cc-guess lawlist-cc-menus lawlist-cc-align
lawlist-cc-cmds lawlist-cc-styles lawlist-cc-engine lawlist-cc-langs
lawlist-cc-vars lawlist-cc-defs lawlist-cc-bytecomp lawlist-calc
lawlist-calc+ lawlist-bk lawlist-bc lawlist-bbdb gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils wid-edit mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-extr rfc822 timezone lawlist-minibuffer gv
lawlist-auth gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
lawlist-as lawlist-archive lawlist-apropos lawlist-+ lawlist-lcl
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv lawlist-help disp-table
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro quail help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib
pcase derived advice shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring savehist
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2441605 221891)
 (symbols 48 86439 1)
 (miscs 40 148 312)
 (strings 32 189178 34146)
 (string-bytes 1 7207331)
 (vectors 16 56373)
 (vector-slots 8 1154092 15038)
 (floats 8 1840 391)
 (intervals 56 342 49)
 (buffers 976 13))