Subject: Re: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 17:54:08 +0200

Hi Ludo,

>> Fine, so if I run update-guix-package.scm and then do the install, I get
>> what I expect, right?
>
> Yes (even with current ‘master’), but it’s quite heavyweight since you
> end up recompiling all of Guix.

Not great, but doable from time to time.

>> I am looking for a reasonably straightforward way to have everything in
>> my Guix universe (the guix command line tool, emacs-guix, guile, geiser,
>> ...) consistently use my personal version of the package definitions.
>
> Would ‘guix package --manifest’ suffice?  Perhaps along with ‘guix pull
> --commit=XXX’?

'guix pull --commit=XXX' would be of use if it works with an URL
pointing to a local repository (haven't tried yet). I'd also
have to point GUILE_LOAD_PATH to wherever 'guix pull' stores the source
code tree, which looks doable as well if that's a stable location.

> In the not-too-distant future I think we can add some sort of manifest
> support for ‘guix pull’ such that you can store the list of channel URLs
> and commit IDs in one file and instantiate that.

That sounds really nice :-)

Thanks for all the good stuff BTW!

Konrad.