Subject: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 15:24:37 +0200

Hello Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>> Just wondering: does this mean that I could substitute Guix from my local
>>> source tree simply by doing
>>>
>>>    ./pre-inst-env guix package -p ~/.config/guix/current -i guix
>>
>> That would just install the snapshot that the ‘guix’ package refers to
>> (it’s defined in (gnu packages package-management)).)
>
> Fine, so if I run update-guix-package.scm and then do the install, I get
> what I expect, right?

Yes (even with current ‘master’), but it’s quite heavyweight since you
end up recompiling all of Guix.

> I am looking for a reasonably straightforward way to have everything in
> my Guix universe (the guix command line tool, emacs-guix, guile, geiser,
> ...) consistently use my personal version of the package definitions.

Would ‘guix package --manifest’ suffice?  Perhaps along with ‘guix pull
--commit=XXX’?

In the not-too-distant future I think we can add some sort of manifest
support for ‘guix pull’ such that you can store the list of channel URLs
and commit IDs in one file and instantiate that.

Ludo’.