Subject: Re: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 13:45:31 +0200

Hi Ludo,

>> Just wondering: does this mean that I could substitute Guix from my local
>> source tree simply by doing
>>
>>    ./pre-inst-env guix package -p ~/.config/guix/current -i guix
>
> That would just install the snapshot that the ‘guix’ package refers to
> (it’s defined in (gnu packages package-management)).)

Fine, so if I run update-guix-package.scm and then do the install, I get
what I expect, right?

I am looking for a reasonably straightforward way to have everything in
my Guix universe (the guix command line tool, emacs-guix, guile, geiser,
...) consistently use my personal version of the package definitions.

> Now, installing Guix in your main profile is probably not a good idea.
> Since Guix it what allows you to manage the profile in question, it’s
> probably better to keep it separate.  That way, ‘guix’ is managed

Yes, that makes sense.

Konrad.