Subject: Re: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 13:20:22 +0200

Hello!

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Just wondering: does this mean that I could substitute Guix from my local
> source tree simply by doing
>
>    ./pre-inst-env guix package -p ~/.config/guix/current -i guix

That would just install the snapshot that the ‘guix’ package refers to
(it’s defined in (gnu packages package-management)).)

> Or, in fact, not use ~/.config/guix/current at all and just install
> "guix" into my main profile?

If we add a ‘-p’ option to ‘guix pull’, that’s something you could do.

Now, installing Guix in your main profile is probably not a good idea.
Since Guix it what allows you to manage the profile in question, it’s
probably better to keep it separate.  That way, ‘guix’ is managed
independently of upgrades, installs, etc. that you make in your profile;
rolling back your main profile doesn’t roll back Guix, and so on.

HTH,
Ludo’.