Subject: bug#28471: closed (Re: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 10:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22629: guix pull doesn't update the user manual

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22629: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22629
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:07:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Here is the “new” ‘guix pull’ that we discussed notably in this thread:
>
>   https://bugs.gnu.org/22629
>
> The major difference is that instead of just building a bunch of modules
> and putting them under ~/.config/guix/latest, it now produces a
> standalone package (with bin/guix, share/info/guix.info, etc.) and puts
> it in a profile under ~/.config/guix/current.  Quoth the manual:

I have just pushed the new ‘guix pull’, with a few improvements compared
to the patches I had sent:

  • Both guix.info and all of guix.LANG.info are now built.

  • The derivation that builds locale data depends only on the po/
    directory, so it won’t be rebuilt every time.  Likewise for the
    derivation that builds the manual.

  • Meta-data about what was pulled is kept in manifest entries, using
    the ‘properties’ discussed in <https://bugs.gnu.org/31442>.
    Currently the UI doesn’t use it but you can see that info in
    ~/.config/guix/current/manifest.

Let me know how it goes!

Ludo’.

Subject: guix pull doesn't update the user manual
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:39:06 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

guix pull should build and install the latest documentation of Guix to
the user profile so that `info guix' always displays the current
documentation.

This seems to confuse Guix users every now and then, myself included,
and the work around of cloning a full copy of the guix sources just to
build the manual is not user friendly nor trivial.