Subject: Re: bug#22629: [PATCH 0/4] 'guix pull' produces a self-contained Guix

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 12:07:27 +0200

Hello Guix!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Here is the “new” ‘guix pull’ that we discussed notably in this thread:
>
>   https://bugs.gnu.org/22629
>
> The major difference is that instead of just building a bunch of modules
> and putting them under ~/.config/guix/latest, it now produces a
> standalone package (with bin/guix, share/info/guix.info, etc.) and puts
> it in a profile under ~/.config/guix/current.  Quoth the manual:

I have just pushed the new ‘guix pull’, with a few improvements compared
to the patches I had sent:

  • Both guix.info and all of guix.LANG.info are now built.

  • The derivation that builds locale data depends only on the po/
    directory, so it won’t be rebuilt every time.  Likewise for the
    derivation that builds the manual.

  • Meta-data about what was pulled is kept in manifest entries, using
    the ‘properties’ discussed in <https://bugs.gnu.org/31442>.
    Currently the UI doesn’t use it but you can see that info in
    ~/.config/guix/current/manifest.

Let me know how it goes!

Ludo’.