Subject: Re: bug#22627: 25.1.50; Wishlist: It would be nice if the grep buffer had a history

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 21:08:15 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 19:41:32 +0200
> 
> My common use case is that I grep for "featurep 'xemacs", and then I
> grep for a different function, and when I'm finished with that, I
> just want to return to my previous search.  The `r'/`l' commands fit
> that perfectly.

Is it reasonable to assume that an average Emacs session will have
only a couple of Grep buffers?  Or that the user will only care about
the last 2 or 3 of them?  I think it isn't reasonable, in which case
your use case doesn't scale well enough to the needs of others.  By
contrast, having a distinct name will cater both to your use case and
to that of others, where dozens of Grep buffers could exist in the
same session.

Besides, the 'gid' command, which is part of ID-Utils, and runs the
'lid' command, already behaves like I described, so we at least have a
precedent here.