Subject: RE: bug#22627: 25.1.50; Wishlist: It would be nice if the grep buffer had a history

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 11:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

> > Unlike Web pages, Grep searches are not connected by any links, so
> > traversing the history one buffer at a time will be frustrating and
> > unnatural, when there are a lot of them.  By contrast, naming them
> > uniquely will allow switching to the right one immediately.
> 
> That's true, so having an additional feature for multiple-buffer grep
> commands would also be nice, but it's an orthogonal issue.  My common
> use case is that I grep for "featurep 'xemacs", and then I grep for a
> different function, and when I'm finished with that, I just want to
> return to my previous search.  The `r'/`l' commands fit that perfectly.

What's wrong with hitting the up arrow or `C-p' to retrieve
previous `grep' command input?  If you want an earlier one
and don't want to cycle to it, use `M-r'.  As usual.

You can also use `C-x ESC ESC' to repeat previous commands,
editing the command as needed.  As usual.

Nothing new here.  I don't see what wishlist feature you're
looking for.  Command `grep' already has a minibuffer history.
And `M-x' already has a command history.  What's the problem?