Subject: Re: bug#22627: 25.1.50; Wishlist: It would be nice if the grep buffer had a history

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 20:27:25 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 19:12:56 +0200
> 
> > We could have an optional feature whereby the Grep buffer is named
> > something like "*grep-the-command-line-used*".  Then as long as the
> > next Grep command is different, you will have a new buffer for its
> > output, and Bob's your uncle.
> 
> Having multiple grep buffers would also be a nice feature, but I think
> just making the `r'/`l' commands work the way they do in, say, *Help*
> and eww buffers would be sufficient for most needs.  We'd just need a
> history variable that containts, uhm, the command and the directory we
> were in when we executed that command...

Unlike Web pages, Grep searches are not connected by any links, so
traversing the history one buffer at a time will be frustrating and
unnatural, when there are a lot of them.  By contrast, naming them
uniquely will allow switching to the right one immediately.