Subject: 24.5; Wishlist: automatically start second Gnus session as a slave

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:53:00 -0800

I asked:

  The Gnus manual says you can get trouble by starting two non-slave
  Gnusae at once: [[info:gnus#Slave%20Gnusae][info:gnus#Slave Gnusae]]

  So, shouldn't `M-x gnus' automatically dispatch to `gnus-slave' in that
  case?

In <[email-masked]>, Lars replied:

  I haven't used the Gnus slave in decades.  :-)  But I think you're
  right -- Gnus should start in slave mode if it manages to detect another
  non-slave Gnus running.  Could you report this with `M-x
  report-emacs-bug' as a wishlist item?

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.4.0, Carbon Version 157 AppKit 1404.41)
 of 2016-01-06 on eno.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.11.4
Configured using:
 `configure
 --prefix=/Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15
 --enable-locallisppath=/Users/dave/brew/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/info/emacs
 --with-mac
 --enable-mac-app=/Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  me-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mac-mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking 34 files in /Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/emulation...
Checking 151 files in /Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in /Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/calc...
Checking 111 files in /Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 21 files in ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/non-GPL3...
Checking 32 files in ~/.emacs.d/elhome/settings...
Ignoring redundant directory /Users/dave/src/s/swift/utils
Checking for load-path shadows...done
222 (#o336, #xde, ?Þ)

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dave/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20151012.726/cmake-mode hides /Users/dave/brew/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode
/Users/dave/brew/Cellar/emacs-mac/emacs-24.5-z-mac-5.15/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/progmodes/compile hides ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/non-GPL3/compile

Features:
(dabbrev shadow emacsbug swift-project-settings skeleton cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs css-mode smie url-handlers vc
vc-dispatcher ediff-vers w3m-cookie ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff diff dired-aux
sgml-mode tramp-cache tramp-sh recentf tree-widget hl-line markdown-mode
vc-git gnus-dired pp xmlunicode quail xmlunicode-missing-list
xmlunicode-character-list misearch multi-isearch w3m-form w3m doc-view
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util nnfolder url-http url-gw
url-auth gnus-html browse-url xml mm-url mule-util sort mm-archive
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-salt gnus-dup qp gnus-ml gnus-topic utf-7
nndraft nnmh network-stream nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache dot-gnus-el
nnir org-gnus dot-org-el ob-python ob-R ox-org ox-latex ox-icalendar
ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element org-habit org-agenda org-info
org-id ob-sh org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
mail-settings gnus-cite spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg
gnus-gravatar mail-extr gravatar url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
MessageID nndoc gnus-registry registry eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-win gnus-int gnus-range
starttls message-x gnus-harvest mailalias sendmail gnus gnus-ems
nnheader jka-compr ffap url-parse url-vars modal swift-mode elec-pair
magit-key-mode magit view tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
eieio-core gnus-util password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete help-mode grep compile comint epa derived epg diff-mode
ansi-color git-rebase-mode thingatpt git-commit-mode log-edit eudcb-mab
executable eudc eudc-options-file eudc-vars message format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader ring pcvs-util add-log cus-edit+ cl-macs cl gv page-ext
system-type-darwin-theme disp-table dired-x dired which-func imenu paren
server ido autorevert filenotify time delsel autoinsert edmacro kmacro
initsplit warnings byte-opt cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
find-func elhome use-package diminish bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cconv bind-key easy-mmode cl-loaddefs cl-lib
column-enforce-mode-autoloads elhome-autoloads info easymenu
maxframe-autoloads advice help-fns package epg-config time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel mac-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote mac multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1315230 142270)
 (symbols 48 71578 1)
 (miscs 40 6186 4424)
 (strings 32 344015 110569)
 (string-bytes 1 13525024)
 (vectors 16 65380)
 (vector-slots 8 2289875 120957)
 (floats 8 729 1802)
 (intervals 56 13363 619)
 (buffers 960 142))

-- 
-Dave