Subject: 24.5; "(global-hi-lock-mode 1)" broke "C-x" key bindings inside "M-x term", especially for "emacs -nw" (Emacs inside Emacs).

From: Oleksandr Gavenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:56:34 +0200

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.2)
 of 2015-10-24 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

I use convenient script for invoking Emacs in terminal as if it was "vi"
(because I hate a way vi works):

  http://hg.defun.work/utils/file/tip/emacs/e

which is actually call:

  emacsclient -t

Today I try to use "hg record" to select diff hunks manually inside M-x term
(instead of xterm).

My EDITOR=et which is above "emacsclient -t".

After entering to Emacs inside Emacs terminal emulation I can't save file or
iterate over buffers. For all commands with "C-x" prefix I see:

  C-x C-s is undefined
  C-x C-c is undefined

in outer Emacs (that was in X Window). So key sequences doesn't reach Emacs
inside Emacs terminal emulator.

After bisecting I found that with X Emacs:

  $ emacs -q

after evaluating:

  (global-hi-lock-mode 1)

and entering to "M-x term" Emacs in term-mode can't handle "C-x" sequences.

My 3 kLOC .emacs file with commented:

  (global-hi-lock-mode 1)

work fine.

-- 
http://defun.work/