Subject: Re: bug#22619: postgresql-service error checking wtf

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:14:28 +0100

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> initdb: directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" exists but is not empty
> If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
> the directory "/var/lib/postgresql/data" or run initdb
> with an argument other than "/var/lib/postgresql/data".
> making '/gnu/store/byn534fg4agm0vv9szl5kkfl19n080b2-system' the current system...
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> ----
>
> Postgresql doesn't run

I’m not familiar with PostgreSQL, but perhaps you just need to do what
the message above says?

I’ve tested ‘postgresql-service’ in a pristine system with ‘guix system
vm’ and it starts without any such message.  So I guess there’s stale
data in /var/lib/postgresql/data on your system?

> and the error message still references the default config file.

I don’t see any references to a config file in what you pasted.

HTH,
Ludo’.