Subject: bug#22598: closed (Re: bug#22598: 'info guix' fails on guixSD)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 22:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22598: 'info guix' fails on guixSD

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22598: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22598
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22598: 'info guix' fails on guixSD
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: myglc2 <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 23:49:49 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

myglc2 <[email-masked]> skribis:

> However, on guixSD, 'info guix' produces 'bash: info: command not
> found'.

Indeed, not great.  Fixed in 939c5c3.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: 'info guix' fails on guixSD
From: myglc2 <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 07:50:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

'man guix' is quite likely the first thing a new user types. The man
page is a stub to 'info guix'...

GUIX(1)
[...]
       If the info and guix programs are properly installed  at  your
       site, the command

              info guix

       should give you access to the complete manual.

However, on guixSD, 'info guix' produces 'bash: info: command not
found'.

While this result is technically understandable, it does seem rather
user-unfriendly.

Work arounds (tested on guixSD) are ...

1    guix environment guix
     info guix

2    tell the user that if info doesn't work, install it.

But both of these seem like bad things to say on the first man page.

>From a usability point of view, it would probably be best to include
info in the global guixSD packages.

SIDE THOUGHT:

I love reading and using info in emacs. However, I will do almost
anything to avoid having to use the actual info program. I expect many
potential guix users are the same, or, more likely, have never heard of
info.

To improve the "man-points-to-info" man strategy (which I fully support)
perhaps guixSD and guix should include a user-friendly info reader and
the man page should point to that.