Subject: bug#22595: 25.1.50; Wishlist: There should be a way to list timers

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:37:08 -0800 (PST)

> > Many Emacs users interact with Emacs at deeper levels, where a
> > text/overlay property is an object of concern, not just something
> > behind the scenes.  Likewise for other objects: processes, timers,
> > whatever.
> 
> Processes reference external entities that might be created by Emacs,
> but that are, partially or entirely, beyond Emacs' control.  So there is
> a good reason to offer the user a UI to list and control them.

Agreed, and the same is true for hexl mode.  But for a reason to be
good it need not require existence outside Emacs.

> > And we do have UIs for working with overlays or text properties.
> > At least I do.  Likewise, interacting with keymaps and font-lock.
> 
> I am unfamiliar with those UIs, which are they?

Well, I have some commands that let you set or examine or search etc.
such properties.

But I agree that we don't have such UIs in vanilla Emacs.
But we could, and I, for one, would welcome that.

> As I said in an answer to Lars, this is not a crusade to prevent the UI.
> I simply have not read a good argument yet why this additional code
> burden would be a good thing to have in Emacs core.

I agree that it need not be in Emacs core.  I'm just welcoming the
feature.  From my point of view it could be a 3rd-party library
on MELPA.  Or it could be in GNU ELPA.  I see no reason for it to
be in "core" vanilla Emacs, or even in vanilla Emacs.