Subject: Re: bug#22595: 25.1.50; Wishlist: There should be a way to list timers

From: Ingo Lohmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 18:02:21 +0100

On Wed, Feb 10 2016 01:16 (+1100), Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Ingo Lohmar <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Why is this a good idea at all?  Timers are always an implementation
>> detail, not a user-level feature, as far as I am concerned.  We neither
>> have a UI for working with all overlays or text properties of a buffer,
>> have we?
>
> Reductio ad absurdum isn't very useful as an argumentation technique.

On the contrary, it is a very useful argumentation technique, but
anyway, it is not the technique I used here.  I have just drawn a
reasonable (to me) analogy.

>
> I have often wanted to examine (and cancel) certain timers that are out
> of control.  Inspecting them without a buffer like this isn't easy.  

I do not want to prevent you from having those facilities, of course, I
just do not believe they belong into Emacs proper; maybe into a
'debug-timers' ELPA-package.  It seems to me that timers out of control
are simply bugs to find and fix.

In any case, this it not something dear to my heart, I just cannot see
any reasoning or argument for such functions.