Subject: Re: bug#22589: 25.0.90; First match found by isearch-forward-symbol is not necessarily a symbol.

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 12:10:26 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Then it will match at the beginning of the symbol for a forward search,
> > and at the end for a backward search.  Same for the word search.
>
> In bug#25562 we found no more ideas how to improve the support for
> the process of entering incomplete words, so in addition to the patch
> in bug#25562 that adds indication, also I'm going to install this patch
> that will optimize the incomplete search by removing conditional
> matching at the beginning:

I think I prefer the original behavior (but actually, I use a private
version of `word-search-regexp' that behaves entirely differently, so my
opinion doesn't matter).  But apart from that, the patch doesn't work as
expected (even with the other patch that adds indication also
installed):

- in emacs -Q, hit C-h i to go to the info top dir

- I want to word search for "directory".  point is at point-min.

- I hit d.  Isearch jumps to the "d" in "Type "d" in Info to..."

- I type the remaining letters: "irectory".  The isearch prompt says
  "Failed" apparently because I'm now past all matches and isearch
  didn't reconsider the text before the first match "d".

Michael.