Subject: bug#22588: root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

From: Vilgour <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 19:45:40 +0000

I bumped into this issue yesterday and thanks to the comments here I was 
able to run fsck in the end.

As an inexperienced guix user, I would like to add some details which I 
believe could be useful to someone else :

I had forgotten I was updating packages and accidentally closed my 
laptop, which closed my session. Reopening the session, my computer was 
frozen (mouse and keyboard not responding within several minutes). After 
manual reboot, I get the following error : /dev/XXX: UNEXPECTED 
INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

Within the command prompt bourne@(guile-user) I try fsck.

However, fsck command was not recognized. Eventually, my solution was :

  * check the name of the e2fsck folder (in my case it ended with
    e2fsck-static-1.47.0) :
    cd /gnu/store
    ls
  * switch to scheme language :
    ,language scheme
  * Copy Mark's solution after adapting to my folder's name :
    (use-modules (ice-9 ftw) (srfi srfi-26))
    (define dirs (scandir "/gn
u/store" (cut string-suffix?
    "e2fsck-static-1.47.0" <>)))
    (define e2fsck (string-append "/gnu/store/" (car dirs) "/sbin/e2fsck"))
    (system* e2fsck "/dev/XXX")

The command (system* fsck.ext4 "/dev/XXX") did not work for me because 
fsck.ext4 was not found.

A question : perhaps the easiest solution (which I only think of right 
now) was :

e2fsck "/dev/XXX"

Thanks,

Vilgour