Subject: bug#22581: closed (Re: bug#22581: Strange minibuffer prompt on exiting Emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22581: Strange minibuffer prompt on exiting Emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22581: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22581
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22581: Strange minibuffer prompt on exiting Emacs
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 19:19:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> The echo-keystrokes code and still very messy, tho :-(
                            ^^^
                            is

> That case looks good to me now. Thank you.

Thanks for confirming,
closing,

        Stefan

Subject: Strange minibuffer prompt on exiting Emacs
From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 11:33:15 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The prompt to confirm exiting Ediff has gone a bit strange. To
reproduce in "emacs -Q" (assuming files "x" and "y" exist in the
working directory):

M-x ediff RET x RET y RET q

The expected prompt is
"Quit this Ediff session? (y or n)  ".

The actual text shown in the minibuffer is
"Quit this Ediff session? (y or n)  switch-frame-".

(The frame switch event occurred because the little Ediff control
panel frame went away and the main frame got activated.)

The "switch-frame-" is of course not really part of the prompt. It is
rendered like what you get when you enter an incomplete key sequence,
like "C-x-". It seems as though switch-frame is being treated as a
prefix key, but it's not treated as such in most circumstances. Try
this for example:

C-x 5 2 ;; make-frame-command
C-h k ;; describe-key
;; Use the window manager to activate the other frame.
;; Minibuffer prompt is "Describe key (or click or menu item):  switch-frame-")
RET
;; *Help* buffer describes "RET", not "switch-frame RET".

In GNU Emacs 25.0.90.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-02-06 built on MACHINE
Repository revision: 87ae21858adc173c129ff8dfec8ce74cd82e77be
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.10586
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix /c/emacs/emacs-20160206-090820
 --without-imagemagick --disable-dependency-tracking
 --enable-locallisppath=%emacs_dir%/../site-lisp 'CFLAGS=-Og -g -ggdb''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Reading file c:/temp/xxx.txt ...
Reading file c:/temp/yyy.txt ...
Computing differences between xxx.txt and yyy.txt ...
Processing difference regions ... done
Quit this Ediff session? (y or n) y

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu mail-prsvr
mail-utils jka-compr ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib ediff-util ediff
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
w32notify dbusbind w32 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 98162 11732)
 (symbols 56 20948 0)
 (miscs 48 47 181)
 (strings 32 18962 3451)
 (string-bytes 1 551173)
 (vectors 16 13332)
 (vector-slots 8 428898 4688)
 (floats 8 173 116)
 (intervals 56 244 12)
 (buffers 976 15))