Subject: bug#22578: 24.5; dired-do-chmod on . or .. directories

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:30:28 +0200

> From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:57:54 +1100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2003-06/msg00067.html
> 
> That slightly goes on and on ... :-).

You are supposed to stop reading where it wanders too far off ;-)

> I have no opinion of the S symlink discussed there, but an M chmod
> seems clearer, doesn't move anything, etc ...
> 
> On the R rename also noted there, I think I have an open bug of it
> acting successfully on "." (good, in my view) but then failing to
> refresh current buffer (bad).

The challenge is to suggest a solution that side-steps all those
gotchas mentioned in that discussion.

Thanks.