Subject: Re: bug#22577: 25.0.50; vc-git-grep fails when searching for `all' files

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 17:22:44 +0100

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> What about file names starting with ".."?

Is there a way to accept them while rejecting the parent directory? If
not, I opt for ignoring those rather than having commands that fail when
used with the default parameters suggested by Emacs.

We could add "..?*" but that doesn't match directories:

oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ ls ..?*
ls: cannot access ..?*: No such file or directory
oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ mkdir ..foo
oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ ls ..?*
oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ rmdir ..foo
oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ touch ..foo
oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ ls ..?*
..foo

This is also puzzling to me:

oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ ls .?
build         dbuild  old-emacs     ses.patch          tooltip_pos.diff
build.script  emacs   pmodes-tests  tooltip_pos2.diff
oscar@qcore:~/dev/emacs/emacs$ ls ?
ls: cannot access ?: No such file or directory