Subject: bug#22576: 25.0.90; url-queue does not have guaranteed progress

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 13:27:24 +1100

If a host doesn't respond, the callbacks from `url-retrieve' will never
be called.  There should therefore be some sort if mechanism to abort
things that take a long time to complete.  Either a timer of some sort,
or a timeout in url-retrieve.  The latter would be preferable.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.90.5 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7)
 of 2016-02-06 built on mouse
Repository revision: 5428b5b24c18ea14916a38c9462df79936dea62b
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.10

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  debbugs-gnu-lisp-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
23 (#o27, #x17, ?\C-w)
22 (#o26, #x16, ?\C-v) [2 times]
20 (#o24, #x14, ?\C-t)
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Quit
0 (#o0, #x0, ?\C-@)
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
Mark set
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-org hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs-org
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-browse hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs-browse
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-gnu hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs-gnu
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug edebug pulse cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs canlock timezone texinfo
log-view flow-fill org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs shr-color color eww
gnus-html ffap thingatpt vc-annotate pp url-queue url-cache eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func qp mm-archive etags xref
project mailalias smtpmail sendmail ecomplete log-edit pcvs-util
noutline outline misearch multi-isearch shell pcomplete grep
bug-reference whitespace vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
vc-dir ewoc compile comint ring copyright sort smiley ansi-color
gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-dup gnus-ml gmane spam-gmane dns mm-url
disp-table vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode gnus-fun gnus-mdrtn
gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls nnir
spam-report spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils wid-edit movie mkv shr browse-url imdb dom pvr debug
debbugs-gnu easy-mmode derived subr-x debbugs soap-client mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap warnings rng-xsd rng-dt
rng-util xsd-regexp xml ido seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-extra help-mode flyspell ispell dired add-log cl-macs mail-extr
jka-compr cl gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib finder-inf info package
easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1208083 158604)
 (symbols 48 121453 0)
 (miscs 40 1237 4809)
 (strings 32 186937 24235)
 (string-bytes 1 9453078)
 (vectors 16 52050)
 (vector-slots 8 1850127 228259)
 (floats 8 890 1878)
 (intervals 56 160965 3793)
 (buffers 976 196)
 (heap 1024 264075 172478))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no