Subject: 24.5; Mouse pointer border color is set to `Emacs.background` value defined in ~/.Xresources

From: Michal Rus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 23:44:45 +0100

1. $ printf 'Emacs.background: #ff0000\nEmacs.pointerColor: 
#00ff00\n' > ~/.Xresources

2. $ emacs

3. Evaluate: (set-background-color "blue")

4. The pointer border is red…

There seems to be no .Xresources setting to change the 
border. Other applications use *pointerColor2 or 
*pointerColorBackground to define this color.

Thanks!   In GNU Emacs 24.5.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ 
Version 2.24.29) 
 of 2016-01-19 on localhost 
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11704000 Configured using: 
 `configure --disable-dependency-tracking 
 --prefix=/nix/store/37hh7lj9jrjsg7cw6s7rr0if0hflhc0v-emacs-24.5 
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 --with-xft' 
Important settings: 
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8 value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix 
 
Major mode: Perl  Minor modes in effect: 
  tracking-mode: t global-diff-hl-mode: t diff-hl-mode: t 
  global-magit-file-mode: t magit-file-mode: t 
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t magit-auto-revert-mode: t 
  global-git-commit-mode: t async-bytecomp-package-mode: t 
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t global-auto-complete-mode: t 
  auto-complete-mode: t autopair-global-mode: t autopair-mode: t 
  global-auto-revert-mode: t auto-revert-mode: t show-paren-mode: 
  t desktop-save-mode: t override-global-mode: t tooltip-mode: t 
  electric-indent-mode: t mouse-wheel-mode: t 
  file-name-shadow-mode: t global-font-lock-mode: t 
  font-lock-mode: t auto-composition-mode: t auto-encryption-mode: 
  t auto-compression-mode: t column-number-mode: t 
  line-number-mode: t transient-mark-mode: t 
 
Recent messages: When done with a buffer, type C-c C-c Type C-c 
C-c to finish, or C-c C-k to cancel Saving file 
/home/m/.dotfiles/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG...  Wrote 
/home/m/.dotfiles/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG Git finished (No files need 
saving) Git finished C-x C-g is undefined Quit End of buffer [9 
times] Beginning of buffer [25 times]  Load-path shadows: 
/home/m/.emacs.d/elpa/nix-mode-20151026.315/nix-mode hides 
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/nix-mode 
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides 
/nix/store/37hh7lj9jrjsg7cw6s7rr0if0hflhc0v-emacs-24.5/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start 
Features: (shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug perl-mode mule-util 
linum sh-script smie executable nix-mode org-element org-indent 
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex 
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m vc-git conf-mode weechat-tracking tracking 
shorten weechat-image weechat-notifications notifications dbus xml 
weechat-complete weechat-button weechat weechat-color rx 
weechat-relay weechat-core gnutls bbdb-message bbdb bbdb-site 
timezone mu4e-contrib mu4e-maildirs-extension mu4e mu4e-speedbar 
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-context mu4e-view 
epa derived epg browse-url mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft 
mu4e-actions rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc 
mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr image-mode mu4e-lists mu4e-vars 
hl-line mu4e-meta smtpmail sendmail ensime ensime-sbt sbt-mode 
sbt-mode-rgrep grep sbt-mode-comint sbt-mode-buffer 
sbt-mode-project sbt-mode-vars ensime-http ensime-ui 
ensime-semantic-highlight ensime-doc ensime-search ensime-undo 
ensime-startup ensime-refactor ensime-popup ensime-notes 
ensime-model ensime-mode ensime-inspector imenu 
ensime-goto-testfile ensime-editor ensime-debug gdb-mi bindat json 
gud ensime-stacktrace ensime-inf ensime-completion-util 
scala-mode2-syntax ensime-config ensime-util ensime-client 
ensime-vars s ucs-normalize flymake compile hideshow pp thingatpt 
arc-mode archive-mode url-gw url-vars ensime-macros cl org-clock 
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces 
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob 
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint 
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func 
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs diff-hl vc-dir ewoc vc 
vc-dispatcher magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote 
magit-commit magit-sequence magit magit-apply dired magit-wip 
magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core 
magit-autorevert magit-process magit-popup magit-mode help-mode 
magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit 
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode 
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev 
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor 
async-bytecomp async tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio 
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache 
tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring 
format-spec server sane-term auto-complete-config auto-complete 
cl-macs gv popup autopair byte-opt advice help-fns autorevert 
filenotify time-date paren desktop frameset ido 
solarized-dark-theme solarized-theme solarized dash edmacro kmacro 
cus-start cus-load exec-path-from-shell use-package diminish 
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv bind-key easy-mmode 
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tex-site info easymenu package epg-config 
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type 
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe 
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page 
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock 
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang 
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese 
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian 
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple 
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp 
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env 
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote 
make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting 
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit 
x multi-tty emacs)  Memory information: ((conses 16 531597 63100) 
 (symbols 48 46971 0) (miscs 40 1919 760) (strings 32 111267 
 17321) (string-bytes 1 3196906) (vectors 16 70503) (vector-slots 
 8 1785981 231215) (floats 8 318 891) (intervals 56 5771 126) 
 (buffers 960 35) (heap 1024 55692 2053)) 

-- 
Michal Rus