Subject: Re: bug#22571: Guix on Debian Testing sbcl package needs warning to set SBCL_HOME

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 03:49:03 -0500

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 11:40:02PM -0600, Christopher W Carpenter wrote:
> 
> I talked with mark weaver about this on #guix and he asked me to send a
> mail.
> 
> When doing guix package -i sbcl on my newly setup debian testing + guix
> machine and then attempting to run sbcl I got the error:
> 
> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 7492(tid 140737354086144):
> can't find core file at /usr/lib64/sbcl/sbcl.core
> 
> Exporting SBCL_HOME=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/sbcl fixes this for me. The
> way this seems to be handled other places is by printing a message after
> the package install explaining that this may be needed.

There is a pretty good description of search-paths here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Invoking-guix-package

Basically, you can list the environment variables needed by the package
in the package definition. Then, users can view them or set them
automatically. There are some examples in the package tree.

> 
> This seems like the appropriate thing to do to me. I'd love to submit a
> patch if someone can guide me through it, I just started seriously
> trying guix out today.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more help!

> 
> Thanks,
> Christopher Carpenter
> 
> P.S. Please make sure to CC me in replies, I have not joined the mailing
> list (yet).