Subject: bug#6360: closed (Re: bug#22569: 24.5; gud/gdb with tramp: warning in setting controlling terminal)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:34:03 +0000

Your bug report

#22569: 24.0.50; TRAMP with gud/gdb causing "File error: pty association is not supported"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22569: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22569
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22569: 24.5; gud/gdb with tramp: warning in setting controlling terminal
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:33:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> You're right, it is the same problem as desribed in 4604 and 6360, so I
> merge this bug with them.
>
> And I will also close all of them; the incrimed message is just a
> warning which doesn't harm.

I've added the following text to the Tramp manual, section 5.4.5
"Running a debugger on a remote host":

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Since the remote ‘gdb’ and ‘gdb-inferior’ processes do not belong
to the same process group on the remote host, there will be a warning,
which can be ignored:

&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'm closing the three bugs.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.0.50; TRAMP with gud/gdb causing "File error: pty association is not supported"
From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 16:58:56 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs built from bzr trunk:
revision-id: [email-masked]
date: 2010-06-05 02:56:22 -0700
build-date: 2010-06-05 16:58:33 -0400
revno: 100533
branch-nick: trunk

Using TRAMP method scpc and attempting run gdb on a remote file/server,
I am getting the following error:

File error: pty association is not supported for `gdb-inferior'

I have included my TRAMP debug buffer as part of this report:

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-06-05 on maru
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <switch-frame> M-x M-p M-p M-p <return> M-p 
<return> y <switch-frame> C-x b * t r <tab> <return> 
<switch-frame> <escape> > <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
C-x b * d e b <tab> <return> <escape> < C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-x 1 C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-r g d b <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
C-h i m t r a m p <return> i p t y <return> s p t y 
<return> s <return> C-n C-p C-x b <return> C-x k M-x 
r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Ispell process killed
Starting new Ispell process [default] ...
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Ispell process killed
Starting new Ispell process [default] ...
Composing main Info directory...done
Info-index: No `pty' in index
Info-search: Search failed: "pty"
Ispell process killed

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-words hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-words
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-indent
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-mode
/home/md5i/src/elisp/psvn hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psvn
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-song hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-song
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-what-beat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-what-beat
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-font-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-font-lock
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init

Features:
(shadow sort info mule-util gnus-cite reporter emacsbug gdb-mi bindat
json gud multi-isearch tabify man ansi-color noutline outline gnus-topic
nnfolder utf-7 utf7 rfc2104 netrc nnimap imap nndraft nnmh bbdb-gnus
bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
smime dig mailcap gnus-cache edmacro kmacro gnus-demon nntp nnir
gnus-sum gnus-group time-date gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
flyspell ispell server uptimes pp uniquify descr-text help-mode view
tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp
tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util format-spec tramp-compat trampver
time sieve-manage password-cache rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
sgml-mode psvn wid-edit log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode
inf-caml camldebug thingatpt derived shell caml-types caml-emacs
caml-font caml advice help-fns advice-preload compile imenu message
sendmail rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader generic-x debian-el
debian-el-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux dired bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone
ange-ftp comint regexp-opt ring cl cl-19 tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])